Ahhh – chocolate – if you are like me, just saying the word warms the cockles of your heart – now imagine savoring one of these easy chocolate hemp bars!
How are your logical reasoning skills?
Are you good at analyzing?
If your logical reasoning skills are sharp…I think I am gonna need your help, because apparently mine soooook!
I was told this the other day, as I was trying to explain my reasoning behind listening to talk radio over listening to music on my morning commute…
I was trying to point out how with talk radio, it’s almost like I have a passenger in the car on my long commute; how the subject matter always tends to be different. But, with music playing, I tend to end up liking a song a whole lot – which leads me to playing it a whole lot – which (as time goes by) leads to me disliking said song a whole lot – and then, even when I dislike the song, it seems to occupy half of my brain space though I try to Shake It Off! Has that ever happened to you?!
“So…. what’s the other half of your brain space occupied by?” YOU ask, well… I am glad you brought it up as the answer is my segue into this recipe! And…if you happen to poke around this little space of mine, you probably already guessed that the answer is C.H.O.C.O.L.A.T.E!
For the month of May, The Recipe Redux challenged members to share recipes of DIY Kitchen Essentials – of stuff we used to buy, but now -mostly- make at home. For my daughter and I – that would be chocolate bars; or, chocolate hemp bars, to be exact. Now I don’t not ever buy chocolate bars; but, for the most part, I like to put a little bit of a healthy twist on them, so I make these chocolate bars -or squares- quite often. When that chocolate craving hits, one of these delights work so well at satisfying it.
Coconut Oil, honey, oats, dark chocolate, and hemp are what make up these easy-to-make bars. These bars don’t involve baking or cooking – just an overnight stay in the fridge before being cut into. They are quite satisfying and store well for a week to ten days in the fridge – they do need to be refrigerated, though. If you take them with you to work – just make sure to pack them in an insulated cooler – or things can get messy!
If I happen to have one of these bars in my car when a song I don’t like comes on, I can easily just Shut Up And Dance! Now, please tell me I Am Not The Only One who stashes healthier DIY Chocolate bars in their fridge… 😆
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup gluten free ground oats (I used quick cooking)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup chopped chocolate of your preference (I used 80% Dark, however, if you use milk chocolate, you might want to leave out the honey)
- 1 + 2 teaspoons Hemp seeds
- Melt the honey and coconut oil -either in a dish in the microwave for 35 seconds, or, in a small pan over a very low flame.
- As soon as they are melted, remove from the microwave or take the pan off the flame and add in the oats, vanilla, 1 teaspoon hemp, and chocolate and stir well till chocolate is melted
- Pour this mix into a pan lined with plastic wrap, sprinkle remaining 2 teaspoons of hemp on top and place this in the refrigerator overnight
- Cut into pieces and enjoy
- ** Can be stored for a week to ten days in the fridge.