Eats, Eats, Eats & Snow Jam!

Today, white stuff fell from the sky over most of Georgia…
And nope – it wasn’t manna!

I was one of the lucky ones to leave work early and head home after picking up my daughter before this happened:

snow
But so many were left stranded – on freeways, in schools, at work.

Here, in Georgia, we are so unprepared for snow -of any magnitude!
The papers here are referring to it as “Snow Jam 2014″, with the governor calling for a state of emergency (hope you were not expecting edible snow jam Ha Ha)

Thankfully, the sun is coming out tomorrow! My hats off to all you Northerners who deal with this stuff on a regular basis – I would have to join the bears and hibernate ALL winter if I lived in the North!

i-wasnt-made-for-winter-funny-quotes

All this talk of snow has made me hungry…white snow makes me think of dark chocolate…which leads me to share a day (before Snow Jam 2014) of eats!
Thank you Jenn @ Peas and Crayons for hosting this weekly foodie lovers ogle-fest!

Breakfast…
Oats, almond milk, cinnamon, salt, peanut butter, chocolate and bananas
oats

Lunch…
Left over roasted chicken – I have been following Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl’s recipe for the perfect roast chicken EVERYTIME – modifying only the spices. Roasted broccoli and avocado and chili sauce keeping the chicken company.
roasted chicken
The very first time I roasted a chicken I didn’t realize the giblets were supposed to be taken out – so I baked the bird, plastic wrapped giblets and all! Needless to say, it was not a hit – and, (there is a silver lining to this)- I learned something new that day!

Dinner…
Red quinoa, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, ginger, garbonza beans topped with avocado
red quinoa bowl
This was my first time having red quinoa and I think I prefer it to the white one.

Dessert….

Started the day with chocolate – so it was only fair to finish the day with chocolate
Homemade magic shell
magic shell
On top of Kemps moose tracks froyo…total bliss!Dribble
froyo

Happy Wednesday yall!

Do you prefer red quinoa or white?
Have you ever baked a chicken with the plastic wrapped giblets inside? or do I stand alone in this “endeavor”?

Stay warm and safe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. says

“Here, in Georgia, we are so unprepared for snow -of any magnitude!” Hahaha! That is SO true! Definitely not manna flakes. ;) I hope you had the chance to enjoy it before it melts. You know…it doesn’t matter that I just ate dinner and am full. I’m always super hangry every single time I drop in and gaze at your irresistible food shots…of oats, bananas, peanut butter and chocolate! Suddenly the hunger pangs kick back in. Homemade magic shell on coconut milk ice cream is my all-time favorite dessert…pure bliss indeed. Thanks for sharing, Shashi!

2. says

I love how much avocado you are eating girl, making me hungry just looking at your pictures! Happy to hear you enjoyed that chicken, I love the smell of it. This winter has been more cold than usual here, with more random snow throughout. The last few days have been brutally cold, hoping for a little sun for both of us!

• says

Pamela – I have duplicated your recipe at least 4 times and your temperature settings result in the perfect bird everytime! Here’s hoping yall warm up soon!

• says

Arman, I used to never quite get the chicken right – it would either be unbaked or overbaked and dry – but Pamela’s recipe has not failed me – resulting in the perfect bird!
      You don’t like quinoa? how bout if it was covered in vegemite ;)

3. says

Good thing they let you get out early and skip the traffic.

That roast chicken sounds amazing, I need to try out that recipe. We rarely do roasts at home but really should.

Yum to the chocolate both at breakfast and dessert!

4. says

I don’t have the snow problem in Florida, but I feel so bad for all the people that are going through the crazy weather!
    Your food looks so good all the time, I wanna come over for every single meal! Especially when you start and finish the day with chocolate!
    I actually have never had any other quinoa than white! I really need to branch out!

• says

I actually got it because Icouldn’t find the white one – it is actually not s strong a taste – its almost like red rice.
      ope you have a wonderful weekend, Dani

5. says

Aww that’s only a small bit of snow! I’m sure it will melt super quickly. Glad you survived it!! And I LOVE that quinoa dish you had for dinner!!

6. says

Oh no, poor you! I am so happy that I made it through winter so far without the least bit of snow. I left Germany just in time actually ;) and though I cannot stand the rain, it’s still better than constant cold and snowy mud all over the streets.

Btw: love your addition of chocolate chip to the morning oats. I need to try that!

7. says

So glad to hear they let you off work early so you didn’t have to get stuck. It’s been snowing here this week too and I am so ready for warmer temperatures to come back hehe.
    Looking at your food always brightens up my day though :) Love your peanut butter, chocolate oats and that frozen yogurt looks amazing especially with your homemade chocolate shell :)

Thanks Kelly!
      I too am more than ready for warmer temps! Yesterday we had a good bit of sun and it melted alot of the snow – my daughter and I layered up and went fora walk in the sun – we had so many layers, we actually felt hot!

8. says

I really need to try homemade magic shell! Since I love ice cream and all! hehe We got about an inch of snow here by us in north carolina … and they don’t know what to do with it either! Everything is shut down today (since I grew up in the northeast it makes me chuckle a bit!). But it sure is pretty!

• says

We shut down for 2 days here – though I think the southern part of GA was hit worse than the northern part! Here’s hoping for warmer temps for this weekend! Have a great weekend Ashley

9. says

I couldn’t believe how crazy things were in Atlanta last night. It took my mom 1.5 hours to get home and that’s pretty good! My BIL’s gf was stuck on the highway for 8 hours!!! Craziness! Glad you didn’t have to endure any of that.

• says

So glad it didn’t take your mom long – 1.5 Hrs for that Tuesday was pretty good, it took a couple of my coworkers 11+ hrs! I was fortunate indeed!

• says

Suzanne – it sure was a mess! But so many good stories came out of it too – people helping each other, good Samaritans riding 4-wheelers to check on people,stores feeding people – the local paper had a column dedicated to people saying thankyou for other peoples kindness.
      Hopeyou have a great weekend and your finger is better

10. says

A lot of the whole chickens I get now seem to already have that plastic package removed – always freaks me out when I can’t find it!!
    I didn’t know there were multiple colors of quinoa!!!
    And, I’m with Sally – I don’t do winter!!!

• says

Kim, a job where I can work in the States from April till September and in Australia from October till March – would be swell! Summer ALL YEAR!!! :) Hope you have a wonderful weekend

11. says

You are a mean, mean lady Shashi, always posting those to-die-for chocolate magic shells. ;) Well, I guess I’m just going to fix me some later tonight.

Btw I love red quinoa; in my opinion so much better than the white one.

• says

Careful Mike – that magic shell is hardcore addiction fuel!
      I prefer red quinoa too – definitely better than the white! Hope you have a great weekend :)

12. says

Goodness, I’d hibernate with you if had to deal with as much snow and temperatures as in Canada or parts of the US. The upside in hibernating togehter would be that I could join you for breakfast, dinner and dessert! Never enough chocolate in a day.

• says

Agree with you on the red quinoa – I was thinking it would be more earthy and stronger – but it was a so much better.
      My sis moved to Dallas just before they got hit with snow after thanksgiving, so I know what you mean.

13. says

Hanging close to home and staying warm and hope you are too, Shashi! Looks like you’re eating good stuff too! What part of town do you live in? I’m in Virginia Highland. Great post!

Thanks Bill!
      I live near the Mall of Georgia in Buford/Lawrenceville -we didnt get hit as bad as the rest of the state. My parents stay near Buckhead and roads were off limits there – hoping your area has cleared up! We have temps in the 60′s this sunday – I cannot wait – even if its raining! Have a great weekend

14. says

So sad to hear of all the people who are/were stranded because of the snow storm. Keeping everyone whose being affected by these cold temperatures/snow in my thoughts & prayers <3

I'm a big fan of both – however overtime, I've really come to enjoy white more. I just find it to be more versatile.

• says

You are so sweet Jessie – it was a rough, rough couple of days for a lot of folks – but so many good stories of good Samaritans helping out, and looking out for one another.

15. says

I’m one of those northerners who deals with tons and tons of snow and it doesn’t usually phase me at all – you get used to it after a while LOL

• says

I think the last time we had snow was in 2011, that time the city shut down for 3 days – this time 2. Funny how we adapt to what we are accustomed to

16. says

It’s been unusually warm (60F) and dry (no rain for months!) in the bay area this winter…but today we have tiny bit of sprinkling. Your breakfast looks awesome. I need to make something similar – that will make me happy to wake up in the morning! :)

17. says

Aw, sorry to hear about the snow…I hope you guys stay warm and safe! I hope sunshine comes as soon as possible! Your breakfast looks scrumptious with bananas, peanut butter and almond milk…I’m in love! I <3 red quinoa, too, so good with avocado & other veggies! Didn’t the red quinoa have a bit of texture?

• says

Thank you Rika! The sun came out in full force yesterday and helped clear up a lot of the mess!
      I didn’t think the red quinoa had a texture – did you?

18. says

I tell myself I would like to live in a city in snow but I can just imagine how much of a pain it is! Here in California it is so dry and warm that we are in a middle of a drought emergency, so it is like opposite spectrums of where you are. :)

• says

Tara – I could switch places with you ANYTIME IN WINTER! Temps in the 60′s is what I dream about. Sorry bout the drought though – we hav had so much rain all of last year and even this past month! These are some insane weather patterns!

19. says

I have never heard of red quinoa before, I would not know what to do with it! But I guess I could copy your lunch recipe, looks delicious. Sorry to hear about the ‘snow in’. I couldn’t imagine what it would be like to live somewhere it snowed and then no t been able to go anywhere…but it looks so pretty.

20. says

We heard about the snow-jam and it didn’t sound good. I’m so sorry your winter has been so harsh. Where’s global warming when you need it? They don’t sell chickens with giblets anymore which I think is a shame because it was good to cook with them xx

21. says

All the dishes look so good. The chocolate shell in particular, how much do I want to eat it now, some delicious goodness.
    Girl, the snow, I’m sure messed up a lot of people. Hope it’s fine now, glad you were back home with your girl. The weather is acting so weird everywhere. Here it’s dry and we are having a drought, so so glad that we have a bit of showers for the last couple of days.
    Stay safe.

22. says

LOL, actually I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from the title… I was almost expecting jam made of snow, but now I see what you mean. We had a hearty chuckle at you all up here in the north of Sweden, but I hope no-one was seriously hurt – when huge areas are so unprepared, when something like this does happen it can be really dangerous!

I would love to hear from ya!